Would you like to have straighter teeth? Have you been considering getting braces, but aren’t sure if it’s the right choice for you?
Getting braces as an adult can be a difficult decision, but there are many benefits. The field of orthodontics has come a long way over the years, and it’s possible you may have some misconceptions about adult braces. Here are some of the common concerns that some people have about braces and some possible solutions to help alleviate those concerns.
- Concern: Braces are unattractive. One of the biggest reasons adults give for not wanting to get braces is that they are worried about how they will look. This is an understandable concern.
- Solution: There are more attractive options. Clear ceramic braces are less noticeable than metal braces and can serve the same purpose in the same amount of time. Invisalign® is a system for straightening teeth using completely clear plastic aligners, which are similar to retainers that fit over your teeth. Invisalign® is typically comparable in price to traditional braces, but may take a few months longer to complete their job.
- Concern: Braces are expensive. Many people think they cannot afford braces or simply don’t want to pay for them.
- Solution: Insurance and Payment Plans can help. Some dental insurance plans will cover all or some of the cost of braces. If not, orthodontists offer payment plans to spread the cost out over time in order to make it more affordable. Financing options are also available for medical or related needs.
- Concern: Braces are painful. You may have heard that braces make your teeth hurt and that they can irritate the cheeks, tongue, and inside of the lips.
- Solution: New technology has reduced pain. Braces have come a long way in design so that they are not as rough and painful as they used to be. One alternative option is Invisalign®, which doesn’t use any metal or hard brackets on teeth. Invisalign® uses clear aligners to move teeth more gradually so that there is less pain.
- Concern: Braces have to be worn for a long time. You may have heard that braces take many years to straighten teeth and you’re not sure you want to commit to something that long-term.
- Solution: The time that each patient will be required to wear braces varies. For adults it can sometimes take longer than it does for children to get the teeth into proper alignment. Either way, the timeframe you will wear your braces typically ranges from one to three years. After the orthodontist evaluates your teeth, he can give you a general idea of the timeframe of your treatment. The type of treatment you choose can also affect the length of treatment. But, in the grand scheme of things, what’s a few years compared to a lifetime of straight, healthy teeth? The benefits outweigh the cost.
Benefits of Getting Braces as an Adult
Straighter Teeth. The ultimate goal of orthodontics is to straighten teeth and properly align the bite. Teeth don’t always naturally come in straight and perfect for everyone. In fact, more people need orthodontic intervention than those that don’t.
Improved Appearance. Having straighter teeth can help you feel more confident about your smile. You may be more likely to smile throughout your daily life and in photos. Even those with no major orthodontic concerns may still benefit from the aesthetic improvement braces offer.
Better Oral Health. Straight teeth not only look better, but will also be healthier. When your bite doesn’t align properly or your teeth are not in the correct places they can experience a greater amount of wear and tear. As you chew you could be doing extensive damage to your teeth. Teeth that are turned or crowded against other teeth can be harder to keep clean and are more susceptible to decay.
Lasting Results. Once your teeth are in proper alignment and your braces are removed, all that is required to keep them aligned is to wear retainers every night. As long as you follow your orthodontist’s instructions you should see results that will last for the rest of your life.
Orthodontics for All Ages
Greater Hartford Orthodontics serves patients of all ages from children to adults. Dr. Cos and staff provide a full range of services to address a wide variety of different orthodontic needs. Dr. Cos has the knowledge and expertise to evaluate each patient’s teeth and bite pattern to design an individualized course of treatment to correct the specific issues of that patient.
Are you ready to meet with an orthodontist and discuss your options? Call (860) 667-8277 today to make an appointment at Greater Hartford Orthodontics or request an appointment at the bottom of our home page.